Saturday, July 25, 2009

Five Months Old


Gavin is five months old today. He celebrated by sleeping until 7:30 this morning. After his breakfast and some play time, he took a nice long nap in his swing until 11:45. After lunch and getting dressed, there was more play time. Then he and I went to a baby shower, while Dad worked in the yard.

As always, Gavin was a hit at the drop-in shower. Gavin made the rounds hanging out with Robin, Glenda, Stacy, Kaye (mom-to-be), Kaye's mom, and Todd (dad-to-be). He was extremely well behaved, especially considering that he hadn't had a good afternoon nap.

Back at home, we had the five-month photo op, some playtime in the exer-saucer that Dad cleaned up today, a bath, and bed time. We're still working on the rice cereal. Gavin's not to sure about it. He gave it a good effort last night, but today hasn't been so interested. When we weighed him before his bath, he weighed 16 pounds 9 ounces.

This week he has been giggling and rolling over. We've had few belly laughs. Last night while Becky was babysitting so Mama and Dad could have date night, she said she got a good belly laugh out of him. A few nights ago as I rocked him to sleep and continued to read The Three Musketeers, I grabbed a peek of him smiling in his sleep, so I stopped reading and watched him. The smile faded to his usual mouth partly open sweet baby sleeping face, then he belly laughed in his sleep.
Gavin loves being "tossed" in the air almost as much as he loves going on rocket ship rides compliments of Dad; sound effects make the ride super fun. Since we've come back from Minnesota, Gavin is aware of Mason. We catch him watching Mason in the room. Mason isn't the only one Gavin watches, he is cognizant of other people being in the room and turns to see who's there when he hears a voice.

We've been working on head, neck, and back strength for sitting up. The positioner is helping, as are tummy time sessions. Gavin is almost too big for his infant tub; I can't wait for him to be sitting up good so we can advance to a different tub--probably an inflatable one that fits inside the regular tub. And soon, we'll get to pull out cousin Hayden's high chair for those rice cereal feedings.

We've had some sleep setbacks with our travels, but we are slowing getting back to sleeping through the night. Rolling over didn't help the effort since two nights this week, Gavin has woken me up because he's on his belly. I hope that he gets back to his good sleep pattern before I have to head back to work--or at least before students return to school on August 24th. Naps are still preferred in the cradle swing. I don't know what's going to happen at daycare on the third of August; maybe he'll learn to nap in his crib there. I hope they get him to nap elsewhere because soon he's going to be too big for the cradle swing. Until then, that's where I'll let him nap. I've tried putting him in his crib, but he wakes instantly. I don't want crying to be associated with the crib since he's been sleeping so well there, so I'm wimping out and not forcing the issue. I suppose I'm spoiling him because I know come August 3rd, Mama's spoiling will come to an end. (Yeah, right.)

Dave and I continue to marvel at the little blessing that lives in our home and hearts.
"No more photographs, please."

2 comments:

  1. That smile is just too cute!!! I'd love to hear that belly laugh. Enjoy this "baby" time--it'll be gone before you can blink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so handsome and such a good mix of both your features!! Too sweet!!

    ReplyDelete