Yesterday, while at the office, invariably, I was asked, "How is he sleeping?" Honestly, I responded, "We've had two good nights and had to wake him up to eat." Little did I know what was coming. Last night was a fussy night. We nursed around 10, then Gavin was wide awake. Dave rocked him until midnight or so, laid Gavin down for about 30 minutes, then it was my turn. We fed a bit after 1, rocked, laid down for 30 minutes, up again. I can't tell you how many times this was repeated. Dave got up sometime after 4, finding me in the recliner rocking, he asked, "How long have you been up?" I replied, "I have no idea how long we've sat here rocking, dozing, and rocking." I did discover last night that when Gavin got fussy, I could snuggle him a bit closer to sooth his fretting. Thankfully, none of the fussy-ness last night was accompanied by the straightened back and "Ewok" howl. (I don't know why I call it that--there's something about the cry at a higher decibel that has a "Ewok" sound to it.)
At 7:30, we handed Gavin off to Grandma and slept until about 9:30. I tried to lay down again around 11, but couldn't sleep. Gavin has been restless most of the afternoon. We hope that part of the cause is that the plasti-bell around his circumcision is about to come off. We'll be glad to see it go because since Thursday he has been swollen at the site of the circumcision. We've called both the 24 hour nurse hotline (don't you always notice these things after the doctor's office is closed?) and the doctor's office. They assure us all is OK and this is part of the healing process. I sure hope so.
I think an after dinner nap is in order while Grandma gets the night shift; I hope that Gavin decides to rest tonight.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I won't offer unsolicited advice but I will be glad to offer advice if you e-mail and ask for it. Either way, good luck!! I will pray you get some rest tonight - for your sake and Gavin's.
ReplyDeleteOkay, that was weird. jbryant is really Tiffany...no idea why it is logged in with a girl friend's name. She hasn't been here today!!
ReplyDeletegood luck. It gets better... I promise. There will be more long nights, and scares about things that end up being fine, but it gets better and they grow up!
ReplyDeleteThe Big Truth: God gives us kids so that we are continually off-balance. Just when we think we have something figured out that will provide a little peace and tranquility, the curve ball comes. Call it God humor.
ReplyDeleteIt is also part of the wonderful experience of being parents. Enjoy!!! Happy rocking and dozing. There will come a time when that feels normal.