Friday, March 6, 2009

Curls?


This morning we had to get up and have Gavin at the hospital by 10:05 for his second PKU screening (a screening for genetic disorders). I'm proud to say that we made it on time. Gavin ate around 6:30, so I got Dave up at 7am. My mom had biscuits, bacon, and eggs ready for us. By 8am, I was getting ready. I fed Gavin again at 8:45, then we gave him a quick hair wash. His hair has a bit of curl to it when it's wet. He certainly doesn't get that from me, but from his dad. We brushed it, and were out the door on time.

I think the next time we wash his hair, we aren't going to brush it straight when we're finished. I want to see what happens to those curls when they dry.

Gavin did really well with his heel prick to get blood. He fussed for just a minute then fell right back to sleep in Dad's arms. (Notice how I didn't hold him for his procedure.)

After that it was off to my office to tidy up a bit, since I left unexpectedly last week. It is amazing how quickly word spread that a baby was in the office. We had ladies (and even a few guys) coming out of the wood work for a glance at Gavin. He was a trooper and allowed everyone to adore him. We were there so long that we had to close the door and feed the little guy at noon. He ate for 35 minutes--a record. I guess greeting your adoring public takes it out of a guy.

Back at home, Mama collapsed while Dad fixed a quick lunch and Grandma held Gavin. We nursed again; I passed him off to Grandma for the afternoon while Mama and Dad took a nap. Grandma and Gavin watched HGTV and FoodNetwork. Gavin was licking his lips at the dishes Paula Deen was whipping up.

Gavin has been awake more today. He was awake from 6:30 this morning until about 9:45. He slept most of the day, but has been awake from 5:45 until now (9:45). I hope after he eats that he'll be down for the count, and we can get some sleep tonight like we did last night.

As you can see, the days pass from one feeding to the next with a few activities squeezed in. I know one day I'll long for the times when feedings were the biggest agenda item.

1 comment: