Friday, July 1, 2011

Bahamas Fishing Report

The Orange Creek flats at low tide.

I can't really say that I have a whole lot of experience fishing in saltwater. But if you fly fishing and you are in the Bahamas, you have to try to catch some bonefish. Bonefish are very popular to fly fishers because they are really strong and fast, and you pretty much have to sightfish for them to have any amount of success. While they are really fun to catch, they are also very difficult to catch. Wind, tides, and cloud cover all are things that you have to deal with to be in the right place at the right time just to have the opportunity to place your fly ever so delicately in front of a feeding fish without spooking it. Not an easy task I learned.....

I jumped some barracuda here and also got a follow by a 2' shark from this cut. Unfortunatly I didn't bring along any wire for a bite tippet or it would have been alot more fun and less bite offs.
The first "bonefish" that I cast to ended up being a larger puffer(?) fish. He was fun to look at, but fought like a napkin.
One windy afternoon I saw a stingray who was fishing too.

Everyone that I have ever talked to about bonefishing said that you have to get a guide when you first go so that you can learn to see the fish in the water, and just shorten the learning curve. But, I'm not one to listen to everyone else. I set out to catch a bonefish on my own without the help of a guide, and ended up with some success. One fish landed and three other hook ups with fish that broke be off on mangroves or popped a knot.

Conditions were never ideal for flats fishing. Strong winds, clouds (can't see down in the water) and fishing at low tide all contributed to lack of success at different times. But, I was super happy that everything seemed to come together on the last day that I was fishing. He wasn't a huge fish, but he fought as hard as a 5-6lb bass and with alot more endurance. With a little more practice and a bit more experience, I think that turning a one fish trip into a 10+ fish trip is a definite possibility.

2 comments:

  1. OK -- bonefish, puffer -- don't have those up here. You should have caught the shark --they have shark steaks on the menu in the Keys sometimes. Do the locals eat bonefish?
    Judy and I are maybe going down to Crosby by Brainard antiquing today.

    Also, to decide where to put the garage behind the house or on the South of the entry driveway. I laid out bothe areas with pink tape and we both are leaning toward keeping it on the Soth of the driveway. The distance is not as much as we had first thought -- 40' door to front door. Comments???

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the locals don't eat bonefish - they are called bonefish for a reason...

    Sent you an e-mail on the shed location.

    ReplyDelete