The main thing that I set out to do on this trip to Colorado (other than pick up the two canoes) was to see the Avett Brothers at Red Rocks. Matt bought tickets a couple months ago, and I was able to schedule the trip to coincide with the concert. I had always heard that Red Rocks was an unbelievable place to see a concert, and I wasn't disappointed.
This has to be the best tailgating location in the world. We had a 360 degree view of huge rock formations and great views of the front range and even downtown Denver.

Chef Matt made some awesome pepper dip and also had the crowds salivating with his garlic butter grilled shrimp. The food was awesome in spite of a thunderstorm that rolled through while we were tailgating.


Grace Potter opened up the show and she was really pretty good. All the tickets were general admission, so you had to get in early to get really good seats. We didn't head in real early, but were still able to get pretty close to the stage. You can see downtown Denver in the background of the picture.

At night they light up the cliffs that flank the ampitheatre and it is just and awesome sight. I can only imagine what it looks like from the stage. Incidentially, a lady fell from this cliff a couple months ago and died just before a concert was to start. They have since made them off limits. But the entire site is a state park, so it is open to everyone no matter the day or time.

The Avett Brothers were awesome in person. I have been a fan for maybe a year or so, and haven't come close to getting tired of their music. In a time when there are so many superficial and crappy digitized singers' voices out there, the Avett's are a breath of fresh air.
The next day we were going for a hike near Red Rocks, and decided to stop by to see what it looked like with no people. It turns out that the ampitheatre is a gathering place for people looking to get in some unconventional workouts. People were running stairs, doing push ups, jumping up stairs, climbing walls, just about everything you could think of.

Here are a couple videos that I took at the concert. The video isn't great, but the audio turned out pretty well.
No comments:
Post a Comment