I guess that I am really getting old now because I find it alarming how much it costs to go see big name concerts these days.Aerosmith is playing in Dallas this summer, and I checked on ticket prices this afternoon (I didn't know that the tickets went on sale this morning). It costs $200 for the good seats up front to see the same people that Miranda and I went to see 10 years ago for $60. I guess there is a market, but back then tickets sold out in a matter of minutes. These Aerosmith tickets have been on sale for five hours, and there are still seats in the front sections next to the stage that are available for the $200 price tag. And don't get me started on the Ticketmaster fees...$14 convience charge for printing and mailing ONE ticket.
But Aerosmith isn't the only group doing this. Even our beloved Jimmy Buffett almost doubled his ticket prices a couple years ago. U2 is selling lower level arena seats for $250, nose bleed seats for $100.
I guess Miranda and I will have to only go and see the local bands who we follow. I think many times they offer a better show than the "headliner" acts that sell out arenas. At least with those local acts, we can buy tickets, park and get back home without spending $500 in one day. I like to go to concerts as much as anyone else, but I not going to keep paying these crazy prices for an afternoon of fun.
...and when those local bands get famous you can say that you have been fans for years.
ReplyDelete