Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Democratic Process



Dave and I went to vote tonight in the Texas presidential primary. Voting is a complicated process, and we're fairly intelligent people.

Wrinkle Number One.
We were upset when we arrived at our voting location to find that it was the site for the primary we were not planning to vote in. (To keep politics out of the blog, I won't disclose whether it was the Republican or Democrat polling place.) The other site is a 15 minute drive away; we were there at 6:35. Instead of rushing to the other site, we decided to vote in this primary since we did have an opinion.

Wrinkle Number Two.
The elections officer gave the ballot to me backwards. So, I did the back first.

Wrinkle Number Three.
After flipping the ballot over, I discovered that I was supposed to be marking an "X" in the box. I had been marking with a check mark. So, no worries, I changed my check marks to X's. Then, I looked at the poster in the voting area to see that I was supposed to fill in the box. Arghhhh. For a third time, I marked each of my choices.

Like I said initially, I'm an educated person. But I had trouble voting. Our elections system is not user friendly. Oh well, in four years, we'll know more. Right?

1 comment:

  1. Not likely that things will improve with the organization. Look at the progress that has been made since the Florida voting debacle four years ago....

    ReplyDelete