Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Broadway Shows

I was quite excited about seeing musicals on Broadway. We saw Mary Poppins, The Phantom of the Opera, and Legally Blonde. I was least excited at the prospect of Mary Poppins and most excited about Phantom.

Sometimes feelings are all wrong. . . it turns out Mary Poppins was my favorite of the three shows. The technical aspects of the show were amazing. Sets and a flying Mary Poppins are all benefits of a Disney show. While our seats were quite high in the balcony, this view afforded a great view of the staging. It's been years since I've watched the Disney movie Mary Poppins; "Chim-Chim Cheree" and "Supercalifragilisticxpialidous" were the only songs I really recalled. How could I forget "Just a Spoonful of Sugar" and my favorite, "Practically Perfect." It's like Mary and I are long-lost practically perfect soul sisters. I loved Mary's long fitted jackets; she must, too, as she donned one in black, blue, red, and purple.

The Phantom of the Opera was disappointing, many of the Phantom's songs were unintelligible. I think my reaction to the show might have been different had we seen Phantom before Mary Poppins.

Legally Blonde was a fun, fast comedy. As a fan of the movie, the musical is just as fun. The girl playing Elle had a voice that was a bit nasal at moments, but Orfeh, (yes, just one name) who played Paulette, the hairdresser, had a fantastic voice. I still find myself humming along to "Ohmigod You Guys" (you can listen to it if you click the link above and look for it--but do so with caution, you'll be humming along) and a song called "Ireland" was added by Paulette's character--it was a cute tune about how listening to soothing Celtic music takes her to Ireland.

Our seats for all three shows were in the upper balcony (last 2 rows for 2 shows), but they weren't that bad. You could see the entire stage and a lot of the technical aspects. When I drag Dave back to see The Lion King, we'll get better tickets.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know that you liked "Legally Blonde." It's in our series next year, and I was wondering about it.

    So glad to know that you had a great time in NY. You'll have to take Dave next time--tell him that his Mom said "GO, you'll like it, really, trust me!"

    I know you must have been tired this week--have a nice relaxing weekend.

    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we can get Dave to go if it's a couples trip. Jimmy would go in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete