Sunday, February 18, 2007

TFR Weekend

Dave is an avid fisherman. In the past few years, fly fishing has become his passion. He reads and posts messages at TexasFlyReport.com, where he has made fishing buddies. Last spring we went on a group outing to the South Llano River State Park near Junction, Texas, to finally put faces and real names with the screen names. We had a great weekend camping, kayaking, and fishing. In the fall we met the group at Lake Whitney for more fishing and kayaking.

This past weekend, the group met in east Texas at Dangerfield State Park to fish for the elusive pickerel. Since we were gathering in February, one of the Dave's (there were four at this gathering), rented a cabin that sleeps 20, plenty of room for the 14 that gathered there. Dave also graciously cooked a pancake breakfast on Saturday and made muy delicioso breakfast tacos on Sunday morning.

I didn 't go fishing since I had reading to do for my graduate class; I also managed to snooze a bit in the sun. Dave managed to catch three fish in the afternoon.

After a hard day of battling winds of 20 mph with 30 mph gusts and of catching only one to three fish each, the fishers returned hungry. We whipped up some tasty stew using ingredients everyone brought. The evening was spent gathered around the fireplace and playing Rummy. Plans for the April outing on the Llano were discussed. Flies were tied. And lots of fishing techniques were shared.

On each trip, I have been one of two wives along for the trip. This time my female compatriot, Kelly, and I discovered a shared love for reading. It was great to talk about books we've read and loved and to plan a summer reading of a book. Kelly and her husband Dave live across Grapevine Lake in Lewisville. The Daves have gone fishing a few times in the past. Kelly and I are planning a day at their pool while the guys fish. I'm positive more books will be discussed.

Dave got up early on Sunday to try his luck again. The lake was as still as glass, though the fishing wasn't any better. After breakfast, everyone began packing up so that after fishing a quick get-away could be made. After loading up and saying goodbye, Dave paddled to the upper end of the lake where I met him with the truck. Before loading the kayak, I paddled around for a bit looking at the red lily pads that were growing beneath the surface of the water.

As nice as it was to get away for the weekend, it was just as nice to get back home to sleep in my own bed with no snoring to keep me awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment