Ground Hog Day is special in my family--it's also my parents' wedding anniversary. I've questioned why they chose Ground Hog Day; Mama says she didn't realize that it was THAT day. Last night she questioned their choice of February since the weather is always questionable when they want to go out of town.Here are some pictures from their wedding day (should I say evening), 1974. Mama made her wedding gown. They were married at my maternal grandparents' home.
Check out Daddy's hair and side-burns. While quite fashionable for 1974, they were also a source of controversy in the family. My paternal grandfather refused to attend the wedding since Daddy wouldn't cut his hair; seems like a waste. But let's not dwell in the negative.
You'll also see my Aunt Lesa escorted Mama and Daddy out the front door. I wonder if Mama made her pink dress, too. And check out that mini-dress with matching jacket. If only I could see the shoes. I hope Mama is wearing the silver square-heeled pumps that she wore with her gown. I used to dig those shoes out of the cedar chest to look at them. I wonder where they are now.

And, this is a picture of Mama and her cousin Norma Jean. "Normie" was Mama's maid of honor.
Your mom did make my dress. If I remember correctly, she made satin dresses for Redia and Lynn, too. Boy, did I miss her when she moved away from home. I liked your dad, I just didn't want to lose my Sandy . . .
ReplyDeleteOMG!!! You look exactly like your mother then! Jimmy and I are having a fit over here looking at it...it's uncanny!
ReplyDelete