Dave, Gavin, and I made a quick trip to Georgia over the weekend to attend a shower hosted by my cousins, Jennifer and Stephanie. I was unable to travel before Gavin's birth, per doctor's orders. So, Jennifer and I decided a meet the baby party was in order. So, Gavin made his first plane ride this weekend.
Getting on the plane was a hassle. Our 9:30am Delta flight was canceled due to mechanical problems. My cell phone started ringing at 6:30 while I was feeding Gavin and Dave was in the shower. I sent Dave down to check the phone when he was able. We had been rescheduled on a flight leaving at 5:30pm and arriving at 8:45. This would seriously reduce our already limited amount of time in Georgia, so I got on the phone. After 52 minutes, I had us on an American flight leaving at 11:55am. (I had to ask for them to look for flights on other airlines.) Dave made us a nice breakfast, and we headed to the airport at 10:00. By 10:45 we were standing at the ticket counter to discover that we were booked on the American flight, but not ticketed because Delta didn't release the ticket. The American agent started calling Delta--no answer. I started calling Delta--a busy signal. Finally, Dave and I were both calling. After sitting on hold, I finally got an agent. By 11:15 the nice American agent was saying, "You know you aren't going to make the 11:55 flight, but I'll get you on the next flight at 12:45." Thankfully, Delta finally released the ticket, and we were on our way after standing at the counter for 50 minutes. We got through security, changed Gavin's diaper, picked up a sandwich, walked to our gate, got gate check tags for the stroller, and first class started being called to board.
Gavin did well on his first flight. He needed to eat when we got on, so he was fine on the way up. He slept for about half of the two hour flight. Near the last 10-15 minutes, he was ready to stretch and get off of the plane. During the decent he sucked on Dave's hand to alleviate pressure on his ears. He would have nothing to do with the pacifier; thank goodness Dave's hand was an acceptable substitute.
We got to Grandma's around 6:45 and had dinner. Saturday was filled with the party, playing with Hayden, and a visit from my Aunt Fredia and Uncle Sidney. Sunday we played with Hayden some more then headed to the airport for our 6:55 flight. Though we got stuck in traffic, we walked to the gate for our flight as it was boarding. While Gavin was more restless on the flight back, he did better than 2 other babies sitting behind us. He was fussy as the plane decended, but not nearly as unhappy as those other babies. I hope our flights to and from Minneapolis this next week go as smoothly.
I'll be making several posts with pictures to chronicle our Georgia visit.
Monday, June 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment