Sunday, January 23, 2011

While Daddy's Racing

Since Dave was going to be in Austin, American Airlines popped up a last minute deal on a flight to Atlanta, and we haven't been to Georgia since Thanksgiving 2009, I decided to brave the friendly skies with Gavin.

We had a great flight to Atlanta on Saturday morning after Lindsey dropped us off at the airport at 7am and wheeled Gavin to security to meet me after I checked the car seat. We did see an airport fire truck (and I knew what it was thanks to one of Gavin's truck books) headed to meet a plane that was landing behind us with some serious smoke trailing it. I watched as we waited at the gate, but never saw the plane taxi to the fire truck, so I hope all turned out well.

My dad met us in Atlanta, we gathered the car seat and hit the road to North Georgia. After a yummy burger at Hardee's, which we don't have in Texas, it was on to the farm. It had snowed there the previous weekend, and reminents of the snow were every where. Gavin was excited to again see snow. He also pointed out all big trucks on our ride.

After getting to Mama and Daddy's I tried in vain to get G to take a nap. But that's OK since Matthew and Hayden showed up to play. Hayden was very excited to see Gavin but didn't always understand that Gavin was too little to understand everything Hayden wanted him to do. But, Gavin certainly understood that he wanted an icecream cone after seeing Grandma fix one for Hayden.

Sunday afternoon, my cousin Jennifer, aunt Martha, aunt Fredia, and Granny came to visit. It was nice to see everyone and get to chat for an ever-so-brief afternoon. Matthew took Gavin out with him to see Fredia and Granny off and then they stayed outside to burn off some energy.

The snow was still on the hill looking back toward Matthew's house.


In the front yard, Gavin and Hayden found some snow to stomp in.




Monday we headed back after Gavin finally got a nap. We got to the airport, through security, and to the gate as group 4 was being boarded. We were in group 6; that's a little too close for my comfort, but we made it. Gavin didn't get a diaper change before the flight and ended up needing an outfit change when we made it to DFW. I wish I had thought to put him in an overnight diaper, but I didn't. He drank a lot of juice going up, so we had no issues with his ears. He was being really good until we began the descent into DFW with about 20 minutes of the flight left. Then, his ears began to hurt. I couldn't convince him to drink or eat anything. He screamed for 10-15 minutes. Finally, I was able to sing to him. He didn't want me to and began to say, "No." In telling me "no," he quit screaming. We were able to land with a happier boy on my lap. I feel so sorry for the 20-something girl traveling for business sitting next to us.
That was our last free flight with a baby in arms. We flew 8 different times in two years. So, the next flight, he'll have his own seat, Mama will pack a back-up-box of juice for landing, and he'll be wearing an oversized diaper in case we're late getting to the airport. I learn something every day.

1 comment:

  1. The airlines are going to start charging for babies anyway, along with a lot of other things. Glad you had a good visit and got to see your family. Looks like G had a good time.

    ReplyDelete