Sunday, May 30, 2010

Learn Something Every Day

One should be able to learn something new everyday. Today was not the best of days, but I'm looking for the lessons I can learn so as not to repeat today.

1. No matter how runny his nose is, a 15 month old belongs in the nursery at church (or at home if you really don't want to contaminate other kids). A 15 month old is not capable of sitting quietly on the back pew of the sanctuary for the sermon.

2. A 15 month old, can pitch quite a tantrum. When this happens, place him gently on the floor and walk away. He'll arch his back. He'll cry and turn red. He'll crawl after you. Eventually, he'll calm down.

3. When said 15 month old seems to calm down, do not resume trying to feed him dinner unless you know you look good in whatever he's eating.

4. A 15 month old will eat when he is hungry. No matter what percentile his weight falls into according to the World Health Organization, you can't force a kid to eat. (See #3).

5. Sometimes when a 15 month old has a 102 fever, he laughs and plays (see video below filmed on 5/21). Sometimes when he has only a runny nose . . . well, see 1-4.



6. Never trust that a piece of meat being smoked will be done in the amount of time indicated. (But Rene could have told me this.) I could have shopped for another hour had I not rushed home so that I could be here when Dave had to take the pork shoulder out of the smoker (so he wouldn't have to juggle Gavin, the meat, and fending off Mason). Next time I'll call to see that the temperature of the meat is. And, I'm not heading home until it is 187 degrees. (But yummy, it was tasty for dinner.)

7. Avatar is a lonnnng movie. We started it at 11:30 this morning and finished it at 8:45. (See 1-5).

2 comments:

  1. Love that giggle!! Gavin has Daddy trained very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very witty post, and full of some real wisdom. Gavin is just a doll in the video!!!

    ReplyDelete