Saturday, October 3, 2009

State Fair 2009

One of the great things about living in the DFW area is going to the Texas State Fair in the fall. As an educator, I get a free ticket from work. Students get a free ticket that is good for Fair Day (known as Columbus Day to the rest of the country). I love corn dogs, and the best corny dogs in the world are the Fletcher's Corny Dogs from the fair. There is so much to do there. Dave and I love the livestock pavilion, the arts and crafts winners (really, we could win, if we'd make something and enter it), the shows, and the people watching.

Dave and I didn't go last year. But we went in '07 with Matt and Rene. And, we went in '05. That year the theme had to do with Rock and Roll so we saw the Elvis Butter Sculpture.


(I'm sure you could really care less. Where are the pictures of Gavin, you ask. So, here are our '09 Fair Adventures.


Gavin has finally (almost) grown into his MacLaren Volo Stroller. We've been using it for the past couple of weeks. He sits up well in it, but even at their smallest the straps are just too big. He doesn't really mind. Isn't his little hat, too cute? It was sunny and 75 when we got to the Fair around 11:30. Our intention was to be there around 10, but G let us sleep until almost 7 this morning.

Big Tex is always there to greet you. He has a new yellow shirt this year.

After purchasing our coupons, we made a b-line for the Star of Texas Ferris Wheel. Gavin got his first ride today. We feared that it would be hot up there, but there was a nice breeze. Gavin just rode along. He even looked out. To see the world below.


The college-age couple sharing the carriage with us, snapped a family picture for us. I'm sure they were less than thrilled to see Gavin would be riding with them, but he was a good boy.

After the ride on the ferris wheel, it was time for lunch, so . . .


. . . we bought 2 corny dogs. Gavin shared Dad's. (Not really, Grandma, he had milk, as usual.) Gavin had a quick cat nap. Then, we headed off to see the livestock area. We looked at horses. Gavin loved riding in the stroller and looking at people (and chewing on his keys). One thing Dave and I don't like about the new stroller is that we can't see Gavin. I'm sure he loves seeing everyone and everything, but we can't check on him as easily. Dave pushed most of the time, and I montiored Gavin's happiness based on his feet. We pulled the sunshade back for a minute so Dave could see Gavin's happy feet.


Then, it was time for a nice funnel cake. While eating the funnel cake, the Kildares began to perform. It was cool to hear bagpipes. The music was a bit loud, and Gavin was getting the stare, so we knew it was getting to be time to head out.

On our way out, I heard more bagpipes, so we stopped to hear this group of traditional pipers play "Amazing Grace". It's neat that Gavin was able to hear the sounds of the mother-land at the fair.
We got back to the car and headed home. Within 2 minutes of being in the car, it started to rain. How lucky are we? Gavin was asleep within 3 minutes of getting in the car. Next year, we'll have to be sure Gavin sees the pig races and the butter sculpture. I left thinking that there was still so much to do and see, but 3 hours was just about enough for Gavin (and my feet).

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a good time was had by all. Love those happy feet! I have to ask, though, is Gavin growing a Mohawk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it looks a bit like a mohawk...the shadow in the pic of us on the ferris wheel is a bit misleading though.

    ReplyDelete