Dave and I tend to drag out birthday celebrations for as long as we can around here. Birthdays that fall on a weekend, tend to be an all weekend affair. Birthdays through the week, go on all week. But Dave may have it the new record this month. Dave's birthday is on January 6th, we celebrated with a dinner out on Saturday prior to his birthday because we were scheduled to be in a birthing class on the sixth. So, we started on January 3rd. For Dave's birthday, he requested that we go to Houston for an autograph show on January 24th.
And that's precisely what we did. Many of the guys I work with think I'm the greatest wife ever because I "let" Dave get Terry Bradshaw's autograph for his birthday. I have really done no work for this gift. Dave came up with the idea, ordered the tickets, ordered the football, and did all of the driving. (I suppose I will pay the Visa bill when it comes.)
Dave has acquired several autographs by going to shows with his dad. He has great memories of a high five from Mohammad Ali. When Dave mentioned to Bob that he was going, Bob's eyes sparkled at the mention of Dick Butkus. So, Dave and I decided to splurge for Bob's birthday and get a ball autographed for him.
Butkus signs another fan's helmet.

He signs Bob's football, adding "HOF 79." (Evidently, adding Hall of Fame without us asking was a big deal to some other fans waiting in the authentication line."

Mr. Butkus pauses for a quick photo with Dave.

After getting Butkus' autograph, we waited in line and had the authentication sticker put on the ball. Then we had a quick bite of lunch, before waiting for Terry Bradshaw to start signing. Evidently Mr. Bradshaw was having a great time in the photo opportunity area (you had to pay extra), and he was late getting started. After waiting for all those who upgraded to "premium" status for signatures, it was finally time to start. We had ticket number 8; they called 1-5, so we waited some more: 1-10!!!! We got in line and crept closer. A lady about 3 feet in front of us took advantage of the "you-can-snap-a-quick-picture" rule and must have aggrevated Terry Bradshaw because when we go there, this was the only picture I got.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I blame it all on that stupid, pushy lady. But I suppose I should lay some of the blame with Bradshaw; when fans pay to get a signature and wait in line, the least you could do is look up and smile. I hear, though, that may athletes don't look up at all when signing. We do have a good signature on a ball that is now proudly displayed with Dave's Frasier and Ali boxing gloves and his Georgia Tech autographs.
Most of the autographed baseballs are down stairs on display. However after the show, Dave took this Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron balls off of display. He saw the going prices on these and decided they were too precious to have out for anybody to grab should our house be broken into.
We may have to amend our birthday extravaganzas when Baby Mac gets here-don't want to spoil him too much :)
This was a complete surprise !!! A great thought and present. Thank you again for your big effort and of course the football. I watched Dick play back when I was growing up and then into high school, and he is a legend now. He also appears to be as "signing friendly" as some of the past signers -- Ali, Ken Jr, Earnie. I hope you two had just as great a time seeing these great people as we used to. The ball will sit right next to Johnny Unitas's football. Thanks again, Dad
ReplyDelete