There are two types of home improvement that I absolutely hate. One is wiring (anything other than simple wiring), and the other is plumbing. You wouldn't think that keeping pipes watertight is all that hard, but for me it is equivalent to climbing Mt. Everest.After getting our new vanity granite counter tops installed I had to re plumb the faucets and drains. Easy - right? Nope, not at all. Here is a list of the "issues" I have run into:
-Had to call the granite guy back out to drill a hole that they forgot to drill for one faucet and enlarge another hole for a drain for the other vanity.
- Neither drain hole is at the same location as the previous one. So I had to redo all the drain pipes.
-The AC drain pipe connects to the drain in one bathroom. This has to be cut out and rebuilt since it is all glued together.
-The hole pattern for one faucet to too close to the backsplash. So the sink stopper rod (for a lack of a better term) hits the back splash and won't go down all the way. To fix this I had to buy another extension arm and bolt two together so that it would be long enough to reach the stopper lever.
-The drain pipe for one sink is 1 1/8" diameter pipe. Standard drain pipe sizes are 1 1/2" or 1 1/4". I have 1 1/2" piping. Guess what? They don't make an adapter that goes from 1 1/8" to 1 1/2". Looks like I am going to have to get a new drain and reinstall.
-The drain for the other sink (bowl type) doesn't have holes for an overflow. This bowl sink has an overflow..... I now have to carefully drill holes in the (threaded) drain pipe so that the overflow will drain. I could just buy a new one, but that is another $40.
-And perhaps the biggest pain in the neck is that both cabinets have a stile divider board on the cabinet doors. So I can only get my head in the doorway to reach the plumbing.
The good news:
- Flexible supply hoses are very easy to install.
- That is all...
I hear more than the usual swearing when your dad has to do a plumbing job also. At least you keep your pants up, unlike most of the plumbers I had here recently! Why IS that necessary in the world of plumbing?
ReplyDeleteHa - the swearing during plumbing must run in the family. I can't count the number of times I have hit my head, leg, you name it....
ReplyDeleteI was on the plumbing aisle in Home Depot and saw "the crack" on one of the plumbing supply shoppers. Gross.