When I met Devin in 1997, I knew I was in the presence of SuperMom. Throughout the years, I continue to hold my opinion of her. Today I received another example of what she has done to ensure that her children have been raised right.
Last week was Sutton's birthday. Dave and I sent a birthday gift, complete with homemade brownies, to her college dorm in Virginia. The day the gift arrived, Sutton emailed me to tell me thank you. Today, I received a handwritten thank you note in the mail. I am so impressed. I have given many gifts to adults over the years, sometimes without receiving a thank you via email, let alone two thank you's.
Sutton, thank you for reassuring me that children can be raised right and that they will carry good manners with them when they leave your home.
Many days before deciding to embark upon the journey to motherhood, I grappled with the question, "Do I want to bring a child into this world?" My response has been that I have a moral responsibility to society to ensure that a few kids are raised right to band together with all the other good kids to outweigh those kids whose parents haven't taken the time to instill good manners and a code of ethics and morals in the very fabric of their being. But I digress . . .

Thank you, Sutton. And thank you, Devin.
Hmmm. . . now the Miss Manners in me must wonder, "Is a blog thank you adequate?"
I think the number of "good kids" far outweigh the other kind. The "others" just get more media attention. And I have no doubt that you'll be raising yours right!
ReplyDeleteOh, how SWEET!!! I completely loved this post.
ReplyDeleteAnd THANK YOU!!
thank you miranda!!
ReplyDeletethat was a super awesome post!!
miss ya'll so much!
Sutton