Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl

I just finished The Other Boleyn Girl. I couldn't put the book down. Given, I knew how it all turned out, I was fascinated by the story recreated by Philippa Gregory. (Of course, sweet Dave seemed puzzled when I said I was reading a novel about Anne Boleyn.)
First, it was interesting to have a glimpse into what life was like in the 1520s-1530s in England. Given today's life style it is hard to fully grasp the life of a courtier, but Gregory paints a vivid picture. I can't imagine dressing as the ladies did, sitting around sewing, waiting to innocently flirt with men, and spend hours dancing each evening, just to wake up and do the same thing the following day.
I was shocked at the treatment of women. I knew women were viewed as possessions, but I had no idea that women were treated as such pawns in a game to win power. I can't believe how value-less-ly Anne, her sister Mary, and other women were treated by their fathers, uncles, and even mothers. I am thankful that we've come so far in society that I was allowed to marry for love, that I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that my parents have my best interest at heart.

On another note, I was entranced by the fashions of the time. Anne Boleyn wore a French hood. Not really a hood, more of a big head band, as shown in the painting below.

Jane Seymour and Katherine of Aragon favored the gable hood.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine wearing clothes so complicated that you had to have help in getting dressed.

    I was glad to know that Mary found happiness in later life--married a man she chose.

    Wasn't it interesting that Henry never did have a son that lived with all those wives, but it was always considered the woman's fault.

    We've come a long way--thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, summer reading time is here. I'm getting to do a lot of reading while the girls play in the pool. I am currently reading a wonderful book by Nick Hornby called "How to be Good."

    A middle-aged woman, on the verge of divorcing her bitter husband, has a change of plans when her husband undergoes a dramatic spiritual conversion. While part of her loves the fact that he is now really trying to be "good," another part of her hates that he now chides her for the very same things he used to do.

    For example, they meet up with old friends who want to dish the latest celebrity gossip and denigrate all the goofy stars, but her hubby has decided not to judge anyone anymore -- at all. Here's a great line from the book: "Is it possible to want to divorce a man simply because he doesn't want to be rude about Ginger Spice? I rather fear it might be."

    It is so hysterical, but serious, at the same time. She is questioning what it truly means to be "good." I've been there -- matter of fact, I'm still kinda stuck there, so I'm dying to know how everything resolves itself. Gee, was this a comment or a mini book review?!?!

    ReplyDelete