Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Things Are Picking Up

A group of flyfishers that I chat with online organized a shore clean up on the Red River last Saturday. I love doing this type of event for several reasons. If you can get enough help, it only takes a couple hours to finish the job. The work really isn't very hard, just maybe a bit messy at times. The best part of course, is that you drastically improve the look of whatever you are cleaning up.

The Corp. of Engineers provided the bags, and we went to work. There were twelve of us total starting out. Eventually a few people who were fishing joined in and helped out too. In a little over two hours we collected 40+ bags of trash, a charcoal grill and a huge piece of rebar, and other various nasty things. The appearance of the shore was drastically improved, and everyone seemed very happy with the results.

Miranda (in the red) joined the effort and helped.I did battle with broken fishing lines most of the morning. I must have filled at least one whole bag with just fishing line.The crew and some of the results from the clean up. This trash was only about a third of what we ended up hauling off.

2 comments:

  1. What a good cause--well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your next philanthropic event can be 'matt's-garage-cleanup'

    ReplyDelete