
Yes, I know Lent started on February 6th. Remember, I'm a bit behind on my blogging.
Our church has established a relationship with a church in Kenya. Our minister, Ken, has been to Kenya twice in the last year. Last fall the Bishop Muruiki and his wife came to Texas, visiting the congregations of six ministers who had gone to Kenya in September. The Bishop and his wife, a high school principal, stayed for about a month with Ken and his family. Ken was touched by the sense of awe held by the Bishop and his wife at all of the things we have and take for granted. So, this year, Ken challenged our congregation to fast during Lent. (This is not typical of any of the Methodist congregations I've been a part of in the past. Instead, we are usually challenged to do something to grow spiritually during Lent.)
Ken is fasting a different item each week: cell phone, email, television, car, running water. (He'll bring in all the water he needs to use in a bucket from his outdoor spigot. The Muruikis were amazed that every house has running water.) The first item on Ken's agenda was to eat on $3 a day, the average amount of food stamps a person needing assistance receives.
Dave has embraced Lent. He's fasted television and his cell phone. I tried fasting sleep to do yoga, but have not been as committed as Dave. I've even tried to lure myself out of bed by reminding myself that I've made a commitment to God, but the flesh is weak--especially at 5am.
This week, Dave and I are eating on $3 a day. We'll keep you all posted.
Methodists do give up things for Lent. I've been in Methodist Churches where we were encouraged to give up something and then turn around and give that money that you would have spent to a charity, food bank, etc.
ReplyDeleteGood for you two--you're building character.