As most of you know fly fishing is my obsession. I have been in the market for a saltwater reel to go with a 10 weight (big rod) rod that I own. Now, saltwater reels by nature have to be more durable than their freshwater counter parts. Saltwater is more corrosive, and the fish that swim in the sea are bigger and stronger than freshwater fish. So, as you might expect, a saltwater reel for a big rod is not cheap. That's where E-Bay comes in. Once in awhile you can find a steal on flyfishing equipment on E-Bay, but normally stuff sells for just below retail price. After bidding on the reel I wanted, I ended up winning it at a price that was almost half of retail price. Needless to say I was excited, and feeling a bit guilty about spending that much money too.
For all you engineers out there, this reel is CNC routed/milled from a solid block of aluminum. It is anodized to prevent rusting, and has a lifetime warranty. Actually just about all decent flyfishing equipment comes with a lifetime warranty - that's how they can jack up the prices so much.
So this is a picture of my new toy. Hopefully soon, I will get to try it out on some fish that would be able to eat the fish I normally catch.
Your first paragraph was right on target.
ReplyDeleteI didn't think anyone would really care about my new toy. But I don't care - it's MINE!
ReplyDeleteNow if I just had time to even put line on it - much less fish with it.
From a whole "block" of aluminum!!!What happened to all the chips?? doesn't seem like a "green device" -- HA.
ReplyDeleteHow many lbs does it hold for line? - say ---- maybe you could use it for Muskie fishing in Mn. or maybe for mean perch!!!