Monday, September 3, 2007

A Good Sport

I have been addicted to flyfishing for several years now. A few months ago, Miranda decided that she might want to see what all the fuss was about. She has had a few casting lessons, and one unsuccessful flyfishing trip. So, I decided to take her on an outing to the Paluxy River which is just south of the DFW area. Now, before you get any ideas in your head about a nasty muddy, snake infested river...I can assure you that this is a nice little river with a limestone bottom that is great for wading and fishing. I had fished this river before, and knew it was full of small fish that were usually very hungry for just about anything you put in front of them. We headed out bright and early on Monday morning and arrived just after sunrise.

I won't get too bogged down in the details, but the initial part of the outing didn't go exactly as expected....I'm sure Miranda will expound on that, but at this point I just don't want to incriminate myself....

We fished at one of the local parks for a little while. Miranda got a few bites as we moved from spot to spot, but no fish. As some of the campers (read: local color) started to awake and crack open that first beer of the day (at 8:00 am...), we decided to drive up the road in search of better waters.

At our next spot, Miranda was casting to schools of bass and catching a few too. Here she is fighting her first fish that she caught on her FlyGirl flyrod. Here's the result after her battle with the Guadalupe Bass.
Her second bass of the day.
She also hooked a bigger bass that was "1/3 larger than the others". But unfortunately that one flipped off before she could land him. Every fisherman/woman need a good "the one that got away story", and now she has hers. We weren't able to stay and fish for too long because we had some tickets to see the Rangers play that night. So we ended on a good note, and left around 10:30.

The client and guide.

3 comments:

  1. What's a Guadalupe Bass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. State bass of Texas....There isn't really too much difference between it and a largemouth bass - just a few more spots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm....make that "State Fish of Texas"

    ReplyDelete