I wandered for a bit with Basilica Sant'Ambrogio being my goal. I got lost for a bit on the campus of the University of the Sacred Heart.
I found a sandwich on the most delicious bread and had a lunch in this piazza before roaming for a bit more and finding the Basilica. As it turns out, I was at the colonne di San Lorenzo; the columns (colonne) are to my back in this picture below. I didn't take the a picture of the columns--drat. The columns date back to the 4th century.
I finally found the Basilica Sant'Ambrogio, which dates back to 385, but the current structure was built begun in 1080 and completed in 1128. No photographs were allowed inside, so I have these two exterior shots.
After all my walking, I was tired, so I rode the subway to the piazza Il Duomo, had a gelato while I watched people. I rode the subway back to the Milano Centrale train station, seen below, and walked the 2 blocks to the hotel. After resting for a bit, I headed out for dinner--a delicious pizza with left overs for Dave and a yummy salad. Dave returned from Geneva around 11 that night. We called it a night and started packing for our trip to Florence the following day.
No comments:
Post a Comment