
He Said
CRAP!!! Panic sets in…I have NEVER been late for a fishing trip in my life. Of all the days I pick to screw up setting the alarm it had to be this day. CRAP CRAP CRAP! OK, so if we hurry, we can still get up there and only be a hour late. This is not starting out well.
Only need to brush my teeth and put on driving clothes and a hat, I’m good to go.
WHAT? We have to wait on the hot chocolate! And the chili! This is not good at all. Ok, I can deal with it though because the hot chocolate will keep Miranda happy when it is cold. And if she is happy on this trip, then I am happy.
We arrive finally at 9:00. An hour and a half late…
OK down to the marina and into the boat. WooHoo we’re off. Stripers lookout!
The ride down the lake is a bit cold, but not terrible. We’ll warm back up when we start fishing.
We’re graphing LOTS of fish on the fishfinder. Awesome, this is going to be a good day. The fish are pretty deep, but maybe we can get a few on the flyrod too.
I guess all those fish just aren’t too hungry today. This is getting a little boring – cast, wait 30 seconds for the line to sink, strip the fly back in slowly.
WooHoo! Miranda gets the first fish of the day. I have taught her well. I hope she’s having fun.
Great, it’s starting to rain. It’s OK, it will just blow over. They forecast called for intermittent light showers.
My feet are cold. Some hot chocolate would be awesome. Mmmmm, I’m glad she took the time to make that this morning. I doubt that Miranda is having much fun, but hopefully she is warm.
Finally a fish on the flyrod!
I bring in a striper. He’s only maybe 2lbs, but hey, it’s a fish. Miranda is still catching a fish here and there on her live shad.
Cool, we’re moving. Dang, this is colder than the trip down the lake. Might be because it is raining. I hate rain. I hope Miranda doesn’t hate me for dragging her out here.
No big fish yet. I’m hungry.
Miranda is eating processed meat and cheese snack sticks. I have seen it all now. I know she has to use the bathroom because she stopped drinking the hot chocolate.
If it would just quit raining, this would be much more enjoyable. My feet are getting numb. Maybe those boot warmer packets will do the trick….I hope Miranda isn’t too cold.
New spot again, lots of fish on the graph too. Yes, this school is finally feeding. It’s fun to watch the three poles they have out getting bit at the same time. Looks a little chaotic back there. Oh well, must be nice. I have my trusty, and for the moment, boring flyrod. What’s that? A bite…Hook up again, this time on a nicer fish. Not a huge fish, but he’s about a 4 ½ lber.
OK, even I am cold now.
I hope Miranda isn’t going over the divorce papers in her head.
After those fish turned off, we headed to see if there were any fish chasing shad in the marina. Nope, nothing but millions of tiny shad in the marina. Back out to a rocky shorelines to get another drift in before dark.
Well, it looks like this day isn’t going to be exactly what I had envisioned. I just hope Miranda had some fun considering the miserable weather.
Only one picture to show for the day because of the rain. Our millions of blog readers aren’t going to like this.
Back at the marina. Finally tally for the day was 10 stripers and 2 white bass for Miranda, and 3 stripers for me.
It was still more fun than my best day at work!
She Said
(Or at least thought)
6:37 am—Uh oh. “Dave, did you set your alarm?” We sprang out of bed; we were supposed to be up at 5 am and out the door at 5:30 to meet the fishing guide, Scott, at 7:30.
6:49 am—Layer, layer, layer. Oh, I might need to put deodorant on just incase I get hot under all my layers.
7:05 am—I need to make my hot chocolate for the thermos and throw the chili ingredients into the crock pot.
7:10 am—Dave is not very happy waiting on the water to boil for the hot chocolate. Too bad. This will keep me warm later.
8:45—At the Mobil gas station. A sweet grandpa in his Carhart coveralls holds the door open for me saying, “Get on in this house. It’s cold out there. You don’t have on enough clothes as cold as it is.” Oh sir, if you only knew . . .
9am—On the boat, with more layers. This isn’t too cold.
Later. OK, my fingers are numb feeling; well, just two of them. But I’m not as cold as the daughter looks in Christmas Vacation when they’re out looking for a Christmas tree. Yeah, but that’s Hollywood.
I hope Dave is having a good time. Scott doesn’t need to worry about keeping me happy. This is Dave’s birthday fishing trip: he needs to be happy.
Hmm. Could we afford for Dave to be a fishing guide? He could work summers in Minnesota, winters in the South somewhere. If he could get 8 trips a month during December through February, then at least 5 trips a week during the peak. . . maybe. He sure would be happy.
Ummm. Steaming hot chocolate—definitely worth the wait this morning.
OK, my feet are frozen. Maybe a heat pack in my shoe will help since two pairs of socks doesn’t seem to be doing the trick.
Maybe I’ll keep a heat pack for my hands.
What time is it? 12:30; I can do this for 3 more hours.
Dang it; I didn’t jerk hard enough to set the hook. These aren’t walleye; jerk hard to set the hook.
Is that rain or sleet?
Going fast across the water is even colder. The wind is cutting through everything I have on. Oh wait, stopping after going fast makes you feel warmer.
Is this jacket water proof or water resistant?
OK. Pulling the hood tight makes me scrunch my head and shoulders down. Maybe I’ll loosen this up.
Relax your shoulders. Keeping them in a wad is not going to keep you warm.
Stop shivering.
I need to use the bathroom.
My teacher bladder is only so big.
I should be hungry. I’ve only eaten a banana today.
I need to use the bathroom.
“To Build a Fire” by Jack London. That guy has to be so much colder than this.
Is Letha going ice fishing in Minnesota? Will there be snow? Does there have to be snow for the lakes to be frozen over?
Would skiing be colder than this?
Executive decision. Dave’s birthday will henceforth be celebrated with cake in January, fishing in June or July.
Scott tells another guide via CB radio (or maybe it’s marine radio, looks like a CB to me, except it is white), “I thought we’d go over there later in the afternoon.” I look at my watch; it’s 2:30. I want to say, “Dude, it is the afternoon.”
I really need to use the bathroom.
“Are you warm?”
“No.”
"Are you suffering?”
"Not yet.”
“Have I told you how much I love you?”
You can’t tell me enough. But I think this shows how much I love you.
OK. I really need to use the bathroom.
As we motor to the marina. Yes, we’re almost finished. I’ve lived. Now, where can I find the closest bathroom. I can drive to it while they clean the fish. That’ll accomplish another goal—getting the car warm. Wait, wait, wait. You’re going the wrong way. We aren’t supposed to be leaving the marina. We’re supposed to be going to the marina. Drat.
4:30—Another fish on the line. I’m really cold, Scott, you can just reel that one up yourself. If he asks, I’m really going to say that. Yes! He’s reeling it up. He must see I’m cold.
Hmm. Urine is warm. What if . . . No, don’t even think that way. Then your pants will be wet.
Oooh. Going fast on the boat dries up all the rain droplets on your clothes.
My hands are raw feeling. This can’t be good.
I must use the bathroom.
I think my thermal shirt is pulled up somehow. The small of my back feels cold.
I really would like to put some Chapstick on my lips, but it’s in my shirt pocket, underneath my sweatshirt and jacket. Oh well, just don’t lick your lips.
Eureka! The marina!!! Ah, I did live. I can't wait to warm up the car and use the bathroom.
This is too funny!
ReplyDeleteJack London's "To Build a Fire" is EXACTLY what I was thinking about!
ReplyDelete"Urine is warm." LOL!
Dave, she's a keeper.
I'm just impressed that ya'll took the time to read the whole thing. Yea, the guide was pretty impressed with Miranda too.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great peak into your marriage!! Thanks for sharing this original post.
ReplyDeleteTiffanyB.
This was so entertaining to read on a warm Georgia evening. It's now 8:22 p.m., but it's still 62 outside and I have the kitchen door open. Old Man Winter can kiss mah grits!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, this is so sweet!! If that ain't true love, I don't know what is. You guys are really lucky to have each other!!