Sunday, October 7, 2007

Bert

Daddy, Granny, and Bert
Matthew & Cindy's Wedding
December 2003


My grandfather, Bert, has been in ICU for a week now. He has emphysema and his health has deteriorated rapidly this summer. Monday on the way to the doctor, he collapsed in the car, leading to his stay in ICU. Eight ounces of fluid were drained from the sac in casing one of his lungs. He has had several CAT scans this week which have helped the doctors determine that he has a collapsed lung, that the collapsed lung contains a mass, and that a lesion is on his spine. A biopsy will be performed on the mass found in his lung. Daddy, his mother, and his siblings have been keeping vigil at the hospital. Please keep the family in your prayers.

Thankfully, I visited Bert and Granny last Christmas. Though I must say, I'm carrying guilt now at not having visited in July when I was in Georgia. Dave and I are going to Georgia in two weeks, and I will visit him then.

I have fond memories of the sweet smell of pipe tobacco--the cause of his illness. Bert didn't want to be called "Grand Daddy", "Grand Paw", or anything remotely close. He just wanted to be called Bert by all the grandkids, and so he is. There's a picture of two hounds hanging in the dining room at Bert and Granny's house. Evidently, when I was younger, I had conversations with Bert regarding which dog was his (the brown one) and which was mine (the white one).

Bert loves to fish. If Dave and I lived closer, I think a great fishing relationship might have developed between Dave and Bert.

My heart is full and my prayers are being sent up. I hope you'll join in sending yours.

1 comment: