Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Blue Room

There is always a great sense of satisfaction in finishing a job. I've just finished the bed cover and pillow shams for the daybed in our blue room.

Last summer, I approached Dave with the idea of a daybed for the second bedroom. Since his family was coming for Thanksgiving, I had the perfect reason to insist that we have another bed by November. We debated the merits of daybeds versus regular beds in the room we had to re-do. In the meantime, we stripped wall paper, and Dave put up bead board.

Dave found a bed he liked in the Orvis catalog, so in October I called and placed my order. I was sad to hear the bed was on back-order, but happy to hear it would ship the week of Thanksgiving, so we should have it by Mike and Letha's arrival. We bought a pop-up trundle and mattresses so we'd be ready for the bed's arrival. When I didn't hear anything about the bed, I called to check on it and was told it would be shipping. Mike and Letha arrived--no bed, but at least we had mattresses for them to sleep on. A few more phone calls and a chat with the manager later, I discovered my daybed had been ready for delivery two days before Mike and Letha arrived; the delay? Orvis gave the shipper a bad phone number. The shipper kept leaving messages at the wrong number. I finally got the bed and love it. I just wish it had been here sooner.

While Letha and Judy were here, I picked out fabric (for a second time--the first fabric didn't quite match the paint color. Yes, I know you can have these things matched at the paint counter, but that would be too simple.) . I made the window treatments over Spring Break. And, after I finished up most of my work for the summer week before last, I decided it was time to tackle the bedcover. I sewed it up in a couple of afternoons--after finally purchasing the right needle for the machine--and only had to make one modification to my homemade design. This week I tackled the pillowshams. And, now all the sewing is finished for that room.

I still have accessories to tackle, but I think you'll agree, it has come a long way from the room it once was.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great--what an improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just gorgeous!! Simple and elegant. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete