Sunday, December 17, 2006

Mental Health Day


In a rare move, Dave took a mental health day yesterday. He slept until about 9:30; after he got up I made migas for breakfast. We puttered around a bit upstairs--him tying flies, me balancing the checkbook. After coming downstairs I fully expected him to get dressed and go outside to find something to do as he always does on Saturday. Instead, he washed the handwashable dishes, put Pirates of the Caribbean in and laid down on the couch. He watched the movie while I snoozed my way through it. Dave did make it off the couch to do a doggie hair round up (our term for sweeping the floor). The picture shows Dave in November when he cleaned all of the windows inside and out with the exception of the interior of seven downstairs windows. The only reason he stopped was that he ran out of Windex. Today, he finished washing the windows; then it was back upstairs for more fly tying.
I started wrapping gifts only to discover that one of Daddy's gifts was the wrong size. Since I had also bought three pairs of pants for Dave at the same store, I asked him to try them on so I could do all returns at once. He sheepishly looked at me asking when I planned to go to the store. At this point it is about 6:45. He requested that he be allowed to take a shower before trying on his new pants since he was still in his PJ pants. I waited for him to clean up; when he put on a pair of jeans I thought, "Oh, maybe he's going with me." As he pulled on his jeans, he said, "I don't know why I'm getting dressed at this point." I went out about seven and returned around ten to find him still on the sofa.
This is highly unusual behavior for Dave. I suppose everyone needs a mental health day every now and then. I know this is the first time he's done this while living in DFW, so I've got another year and a half before he needs another one!
Today, he's back to himself. We returned from church, lunch, and a quick trip to Wal-Mart at 2:30. His agenda for the afternoon: change the oil in the car and truck, prune some bushes out front, go to Lowe's and Petsmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment