Friday, December 23, 2011

Road Trip



Over Thanksgiving Break, Gavin and I took a road trip to Georgia. Dave had class and work, but G and I had the entire week off. We set out Saturday morning. As you can see, Gavin was well stocked for the drive ahead. We got on the road about 9:45. I spent much time contemplating when it would be best to leave. My fear if we left at 5am was that he wouldn't go back to sleep and that we'd get to a stopping point very early in the afternoon Saturday. I considered just before his nap time, but worried that he wouldn't nap. So I decided on late morning.







Even though it wasn't Christmas and there were no gifts to transport, my trunk was still full of items to carry East.








The front seat was packed with items that I wanted close at hand for the trip.



Our first stop was Kilgore, Texas, for gas and lunch. Typically, Gavin tells me that he wants to eat in the restaurant, but today when presented with the question, he said, "I want to eat in the car." So we made our order to go and waited for it to be filled before getting on the road.





At some point in the afternoon, Gavin was getting restless. I made a stop in rural Louisiana. We found a convenience store and a bank at the exit. So, we played football in the bank parking lot. G also decided it was a great opportunity for a dirty diaper adventure. (I'm just glad I didn't have to make a special stop for this event.)


He never napped; after our football game, I fixed the DVD player. G watched a few episodes of Curious George to pass the time.


We made it to Vicksburg and the banks of the Mississippi River just at sunset. It was another opportunity for G to run off some energy.











G stuck his head between these rails and had to have me extract him.














That night, we stopped in Meridian, Mississippi. I really wanted to drive to Tuscaloosa, but Alabama played at home that day. Dave was checking on hotel rooms; they were ridiculous ($150+) for the few hours that we'd be there. So, we stopped in Meridian.


I think G could get used to life on the road. He got to eat cookies, drink milk, and watch TV on the bed.


The next morning, he was up at 5am. Lest we not be "those" people who wake everyone up, we were on the road by 6. I was so anxious to get on the road, I neglected to fill up the tank.



On we drove to Tuscaloosa for gas and a chocolate covered doughnut.




By 12:30, we were at my parent's house. Once on Saturday and once on Sunday, Gavin asked, "Where's my grandma's house?" That's the closest thing to "Are we there yet?" that I heard come from him. We really was a good sport.


No comments:

Post a Comment