Friday, February 12, 2010

Record Setting Snow

The snow continued to fall last night. I'm not really sure when it stopped. The official snow total for DFW is 12.5 inches. We measured 10.5 at one place in our yard and could have found places deeper than that.

Our power blinked a few times, then went out around midnight. It was off for a while, then came back on. Then around 3, it went off again, finally coming back on after 5. Each time it went off, we could see bright flashes outside; I guess that was sparks from powerlines somewhere, which is odd because the power right here is underground, but there are powerlines elsewhere in the area.

Dave got up each time the power went off to check to be sure that Gavin was warm enough, to find the flashlight, and just check on things. I roused up, but never really got up. It was nice to know someone else was taking care of it.

Gavin slept in until almost seven. Last night my school district cancelled classes for Friday, which uses our Monday President's Day Holiday. But Dave reminds me a three day weekend is a three day weekend and that the kids need this opportunity to play in the snow.

Before Gavin's nap, we bundled up and headed out for some pictures.
An artsy icicle shot.




Mason loves the snow even though it's so deep.

Our neighbor Robin and her daughter Addison built a snowman.
Addison made a snow angel.
While Robin snapped a quick family photo in the snow.

(I'm wearing glasses this week because I have Lasik scheduled for next Friday and have to be out of my contacts until then. I go in for my pre-Op appointment Tuesday morning. I hope that all looks good and we're a "go.")
Gavin and I came in, while Dave stayed out to shovel the drive way, so he could go to work. All that "playing" in the snow must have worn Gavin out. He napped for over two hours.


It's 40 degrees right now. So, snow is falling off the the trees. The roads are passable. Tommorrow is supposed to be near 50. Gavin's 1 year pictures are scheduled for outside at 9am. I've got to rethink his outfits.

1 comment:

  1. These pics look like the ones I took at our house (GT hat on the boy and all) - though our snowfall was more in the 6-inch range. We had gone skiing in WV and drove thru some snowy weather on our way up early in the week then met the same weather coming home - the further we drove south, oddly enough. Excited for you about your Lasik - I can't wait for Matthew to do that, too!

    ReplyDelete