

In October, we went shopping thinking that the light would be our Christmas gift. I can't remember what expense came up that altered our plan, but we didn't get the light. (Dave reminds me that it was tuition.) In February, we decided it would be our Valentine's gift. Life was busy in February, so we still didn't get the light. Then a catalog came with our light on sale. We ordered the light and waited for it to arrive at the store. Meanwhile, we discussed how to install the light. Getting up to the 22' ceiling to wire in the light would be a challenge. I wanted to rent a scissor lift; Dave felt scaffolding was the way to go. So scaffolding it was.
Mike and Letha were coming on Friday, and I know Dave wanted to get the new light up before they got here. He picked up the scaffolding on Wednesday and started to put it together. There was a small issue--the footprint of the scaffolding was larger than the area in the foyer. No worries, Dave went to Home Depot and returned with feet for the scaffolding. One leg could rest on the stairs, with the adjustable feet on the other legs, keeping everything level. Dave was energized and dancing a jig. Not so fast. The footprint was still too big. Dave decided that we could run the crossbars from the bottom of one section to the bottom of the next to reduce the footprint.
Tired after a long day of work and knowing I didn't possess the physical strength to help him fit the second section of scaffolding onto the first, I persuaded Dave to wait for Mike's arrival--well, my tears of frustration and exhaustion did.
On Sunday morning after the Buffett concert, Dave and Mike began putting the scaffolding together. Being the nervous soul I am, I tried to stay in the kitchen and wash dishes. Letha disappeared for a mid-morning nap. So when the boys needed a hand, I was called in. Dave's plan worked perfectly; though I was nervous through the whole process.



Mike was brave and crawled on the scaffolding to wire in the light. The scaffolding came down, and a beautiful light remained (along with a few scuff marks that need to have some touch-up painting).
What an ordeal, but the results are beautiful!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's just gorgeous!! Looks great from the outside!
ReplyDelete