We've had some interesting weather in Texas lately. Most of it seems to be hitting on the weekends. We were predicted to have tornadoes during rush hour Friday. Dave arrived home a bit before me. I had stopped at TJ Maxx for some "retail therapy", purchasing a pretty new purse to elevate my spirits. Dave called wondering where I was and cautioning that he would be parked in the garage since the threat of hail loomed. When Dave pulls the truck into the garage, we scoot the lathe and ban saw over to make room for both vehicles. I pulled into the garage a few minutes after him. We turned on the TV to watch radar of the approaching storm. In anticipation of the storms, we pulled a few items out of the coat closet under the stairs to make room for the three of us (can't forget Mason) in the event that we needed to take cover.
When the rain started pooring, we lost our satellite televison reception. Shortly after that, we lost power. Luckily, we have a hand-crank powered radio that we pulled out and tuned to the local newsradio station, turning the crank every few minutes to keep abreast of the location of the storm. We heard a few hailstones, but nothing serious.
After the worst of the storm passed, we called friends who live in the area that was reported as being hard hit by the storms. Devin and her kids were at the mall during the storm. Then we feasted on peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Dave pulled out the oil lanterns and candles. We found Monopoly and settled down for an evening of board games--never mind that certification test in the morning. Dave played his usual cut-throat game, purchasing each parcel of property he landed on. Then, noticing where I kept landing, he started building houses. Though I owned Park Place and Boardwalk, he won. After Monopoly, it was around 9:30 and time for me to retire before my big test. Before doing so, I noticed that a street light was on outside. When I went upstairs to get my #2 pencils for my test, I noticed that homes on the street behind us had lights; however, we didn't have lights, nor did neighbors across the street. I set my cell phone's alarm for a 5:30am wake up call. Dave decided to turn on the bathroom light so that when the power came on, he could get up to turn off all the lights and TV that had been on before we lost electricity.
I didn't get the studying done that I intended for the evening, but I did get to spent valuable time with my husband.
Saturday, April 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm afraid that David learned to play Monoply from his father--you can see why I don't enjoy board games. Everyone in my family is too competitive!
ReplyDeleteJudt
No, I learned from Mike. He was always buying properties like crazy...seems to be a good strategy. Miranda caught one to my act fairly quickly though and thwarted me on many occasions.
ReplyDelete